Welcome to the Stockport College masterplan.
On this page, you can find out about the redevelopment proposals for the College and share your views with us via our online feedback form.
What are we proposing?
The existing town centre campus on Wellington Road South urgently requires investment and improvement to bring the College’s teaching facilities up to modern, high-quality standards. The recent merger with Trafford College is helping to drive the project forward to provide a major investment in new buildings, better facilities and resources.
The goal is to achieve a vast improvement to the College’s Ofsted rating and provide a more positive learning environment for our students. The works are proposed to be ready for the 2020/21 academic year.
In the longer term, some parts of the campus (on Greek Street) are surplus to the College’s requirements and so there is an opportunity to redevelop these buildings for other uses.
We explain more about these projects below.
- Regenerate the College to provide new teaching facilities
A £24m package of works is proposed to regenerate the main campus.
The proposals include:
- Providing a campus “experience” with a new courtyard;
- Improving pedestrian routes and access within the campus and limiting vehicle movements;
- Creating a new entrance on Wellington Road for visitors (including stepping back the access from the pavement to assist disabled visitors);
- Grouping together related curriculum areas, where possible;
- Providing a more welcoming environment for staff, students and visitors;
- Congregating areas that are open to the public (eg hair and beauty, hospitality) to the Wellington Road part of the site;
- Improving the quality of the buildings and services on the site;
- Reducing running costs through new plant and sustainability measures; and
- Introducing a new business centre to attract external investment and funding through closer links to local businesses.
As the first phase of the works, we intend to submit an initial planning application later this month to demolish parts of the Vernon Centre, so that initial enabling works can be completed by December 2018.
We then aim to submit the planning application for the main works in August 2018. The works are proposed to be ready for the 2020/21 academic year.
We would like to hear your views on whether you support the proposals.
- Redevelopment of Greek Street for other uses
For this part of the site, the proposals are not as developed. We know that the buildings are surplus to our requirements and that they could be redeveloped for other uses.
At this early stage, we know there are many different options for how the site might be developed. For example, one option might be to convert the buildings (including the Grade II listed Greek Street Centre) to other “non-College” uses.
The alternative uses might include:
- New homes/apartments
- Hotel and leisure
- Training and conference centre
- Car parking
We have prepared a draft masterplan showing how the site might be developed. This can be downloaded here: Draft Masterplan
A more detailed masterplan will be published shortly. Please keep checking this page for updates.
We’re keen to hear your views on the options and potential uses for this site.
Tell us what you think
To tell us what you think about the proposals, please complete our online questionnaire www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NM9W6FL
Online responses should be provided before Wednesday 25 July 2018.
You can also attend our public consultation event at the College reception on Wednesday 27 June from 3:30pm – 8pm.
The event will give you an opportunity to ask any questions you have on the proposed plans for the College and provide your feedback on the proposals. The project team will be on hand to answer any questions you may have. We hope you can make it.
What happens now?
We envisage the following timescales:
Get in touch
Hopefully you’ve had a chance to review the proposals for the College and complete a feedback form. If you have any questions about the proposals, then please do not hesitate to contact our planning advisors, Indigo Planning at firstname.lastname@example.org: